Thursday, October 29, 2009

Know Yourself Through Your Songs

I recently made a giant list of all the songs I have been attracted to in my life thus far.  I went all the way back to grammar school, through high school, college, young adulthood, leading right up to the present.  There was a big gap in there where I didn't pick songs that I was drawn to for a while because I thought there was something wrong with what appealed to me.  I thought I had to have better taste or something.  But I have found that even in some of the songs that were handed to me, songs I was told I was supposed to like, surprisingly some of them have been revealing about me too.  Maybe the people doing it were picking up on a vibe or something.  Like the way they say we send out signals that attract certain kinds of people to us, I think we attract songs to us, whether we actively select them or not.

Seeing them all in one place was very revealing.  I was able to ascertain themes about me that were apparent from these songs.  I wonder if an exercise like this could help you learn about yourself too.  I think this is an important part of learning who I am as a person, and as a singer.

Here are some of the themes I've detected in "my" songs:

Unlucky in Love
Survival
Determination
Never Give Up
Acceptance
Inspiration
Loneliness
Carrying on Through Difficulties
Light at the End of the Tunnel
Hope
Encouragement
Keep on Believing
Stay Strong
Perseverence
Commitment
Faith
Spirit
Honesty
Staying True
Staying the Course
Passion
Drama
Pain

I've decided think this kind of inventory can be very useful in finding out just what kind of singer a person is.  I did a similar thing one time when I listed all the self-help books I owned.

What kinds of things can you find out about yourself by studying your songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment